Shaler North Hills Library hosting presentation on local waterways, historic floods
Tuesday, March 10, 2020 | 12:01 AM
Shaler North Hills Library, 1822 Mt. Royal Blvd., Glenshaw, has a variety of activities planned. For details about library events or to register, call 412-486-0211 or go to the website at shalerlibrary.org.
• On March 13, from 7 to 9 p.m., the always popular Creative Succulent Garden Workshop will be held. Register early because this event sells out. Learn how to create your own succulent container garden. Members of the Shaler Garden Club provide succulents, soil, containers and instruction.
• On March 18, from 2 to 3 p.m. join in for Needles and Hooks by the Books. This group meets downstairs at the library. Bring you knitting or crochet projects for an hour of fellowship and sharing. Not registration is required.
• On March 20, from 7 to 8 p.m., stop in for Frozen Fest 2020. Queen Elsa will be on hand for this “Frozen-themed” event. There will be stories as well as crafts. Registration is required.
• On March 24, at 6:30 p.m., anybody interested in local history might want to check out a program called, “Pittsburgh Rivers and Waterways: A History of Floods.” How did the Ohio River get its name? What’s the story on the 1977 Johnstown Flood? The story behind multiple Millvale floods. Even hear a story about George Washington and the Allegheny River. The presentation will be conducted by Werner C. Loehlein who worked for the Army Corps of Engineers for 44 years.
Registration is requested.
• On March 27, from 2 to 6 p.m., AARP Smart Driving Course refresher will be held. You must have taken the two-day course in the last three years to register for this refresher course. Most insurance companies offer a discount for people who have completed the course. The fee to take the course is $15 for AARP members and $20 for non-members. Payment is required the day of the class. Call the library to register.
• On March 28, from 7 to 9 p.m., Teen Milkshake and a Movie night will be held. For teens in grades 7 and up, stop in to watch Indiana Jones in “Raiders of the Lost Ark” while enjoying milkshakes, root beer floats and snacks.